Hairspray Audition Information
Note: The Audition list updates every five minutes.
NOTE: Audition Forms is as the bottom of this page so please scroll down the page to complete the audition form. Also a link to your resume is optional. Reason to include should only be if you are new to the FMT Stage and do not wish to enter the details into our forms.
FAMILY MUSIC THEATRE IS ANNOUNCING:
OPEN AUDITIONS for SUMMER 2017 PRODUCTION OF HAIRSPRAY
Friday, May 5 - 7pm - Vocal Auditions
Saturday, May 6 - 9am - Dance Audition
LOCATION: Cedar Valley College Performance Hall
3030 N. Dallas Ave, Lancaster, TX 75134
PERFORMANCES: JUNE 16-17, 23-24, 30, and JULY 1
Audition attendance required for BOTH Friday evening May 5 and Saturday morning May 6!
Based on these auditions, the directors will determine who they wish to keep for script readings immediately after the Dance Audition - probably starting at 10am Saturday. Callbacks, if needed, will take place early afternoon. We will make every effort to have the entire show cast and announced by mid Saturday afternoon.
BACKGROUND: Hairspray, winner of eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical, is a family-friendly musical, piled bouffant-high with laughter, romance and deliriously tuneful songs. It's 1962 in Baltimore, and the lovable plus-size teen, Tracy Turnblad, has only one desire – to dance on the popular "Corny Collins Show." When her dream comes true, Tracy is transformed from social outcast to sudden star. She must use her newfound power to dethrone the reigning Teen Queen, win the affections of heartthrob, Link Larkin, and integrate a TV network... all without denting her 'do! Boundaries of race and body size are about to get a big jolt!!
GREAT SONGS: You Can't Stop the Beat, I Know Where I've Been, The Nicest Kids in Town, I Can Hear the Bells, Welcome to the 60's, Run & Tell That, Good Morning Baltimore, Big Blond and Beautiful, Without Love, You're Timeless to Me, It Takes Two
LARGE CAST. Many named roles. Great roles for singing/dancing teens. Character Adult roles. Some cameos.
Click Here for a downloadable Character Description Sheet
- Friday night Vocal Audition:
- Sing best 16 bars of Broadway song, or popular song from the 60's. Must have sheet music. Accompanist provided.
- It is imperative that you come prepared to "act" this number. This will impact our selection of those who will be allowed to read for roles.
- Saturday morning Dance Audition - 9am:
- All will participate in basic movement audition
- Teens (+ Velma & Motormouth) will remain for more extensive dance audition. Wear appropriate footwear and come dressed to move.
- Sides (script excerpts for audition) will be available in CVC Library by Mon., April 17.
Click Here for Digital Version of Audition Sides (Script Excerpts).
Click Here for Digital Version Call Back Song Excerpts.
Þ Auditionees will be required to fill out an audition form at online sign-in, including previous theatre experience, conflicts during the rehearsal period, and contact information.
Þ Rehearsal/Workday commitment will include 3-4 weeknights per week and most Saturdays. All must guarantee no conflicts in final rehearsal period (June 5-15) and ALL performances.
Þ Auditionees are encouraged to enroll in one of CVC’s drama music theatre workshop classes (DRAMA 1120, MUSP 1391), whose only meetings entail regular rehearsals, workdays, and performances of this production. Have fun AND get college credit at the same time! Continuing Education equivalent courses are also available.
- A Tentative, detailed rehearsal schedule will be posted online at a later date. Due to the extremely short rehearsal schedule, there will be very little flexibility for major conflicts.
Check frequently for updates at www.cedarvalleycollege.edu/fmt